Feeling compelled to do any astronomy that I can whenever I can, I imaged the sun yet again. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable session.
I started setting up the scope at about 1225, captured three sunspot groups, and had everything put away by 1255. After uncovering the NP101/G11, I added the ASI178MC.
The outside temperature was about 48 degrees, and the surface winds were still. Seeing was moderate, which allowed me to capture more detail in the larger sunspots’ penumbra that I was able to capture last time.
One mistake that I made was using the ASI178 instead of the ASI290. Since all white filter solar images are monochrome anyway, the 178 is an unnecessary complication, and the 290 works just fine.
I encountered two issues that require attention. First is that I haven’t cleaned the optics yet, but was able to find a sufficiently large clean spot on the display. The next is that I think that I saw about 3 seconds of backlash after slewing toward the right. Not sure that I actually saw it, but I was hoping less backlash than that after replacing the worm blocks. I can do a more accurate check with PHD2 when I am able to work with a star field, and I can do a more accurate backlash adjustment too.